Can Pillows Be Washed? Can I wash my pillow with soap and water? Think about how many times a day you use your pillow. It’s probably a lot, especially if you’re like most people and can’t stand sleeping on anything except a soft cloud of fabric surrounding your head.
Yes, pillows can be washed! Simply put pillows in the wash with other laundry and let them hang to dry. This is best for soft pillows that you want to return to their original shape.
So, considering how often we come into contact with them, it’s no wonder we might start to feel guilty about never giving our pillows a proper wash. Can pillows even be washed, though? And if so, how? Keep reading to find out!
These are questions that many people may ask themselves. Well, the answer is yes! You can wash your pillows as long as they’re machine-washable, and you don’t put them in the dryer or leave them out to air-dry.
This article will help you learn how to wash any type of pillow properly and provide you with tips and precautions to take while doing it.
Can Pillows Be Washed? What Can I Wash My Pillows With?
You can wash your pillows with warm water and regular unscented laundry soap such as Woolite or Dreft. Using products like bleach, OxiClean, or other harsh cleaners will void the pillow warranty and damage the product. Also, washing with excessively hot water will weaken the pillow fill.
How Can I Wash My Pillow?
To wash your pillow, simply use a front loading washing machine and place your pillows in with the rest of your laundry. If you have large down or synthetic-filled pillows, it is recommended to put them inside a protective cover like an old pillowcase and tie the opening tightly. That will help protect your pillow from getting dirty.
Machine Washing Your Pillow
After putting your pillows inside your washing machine, set them on the gentlest cycle possible. Then wash two of your pillows at once; this will help even out any wrinkles that might be caused by washing one pillow alone. Once the washer has filled with warm water, add a tablespoon of laundry soap and let the machine agitate for a few minutes. Then let it continue to wash your pillows. However, don’t let your pillow sit in the washer for too long, especially if you have large down or synthetic-filled pillows because they’ll become flat.
Vacuum Bag Your Pillow
Another option is to get a vacuum sealer like FoodSaver and use it on your pillows before you wash them. This will ensure that you get all the dirt and oils from your pillow. After the machine wash cycle is complete, just toss your pillows into the dryer, and they’ll be good as new.
By vacuum bagging your pillow, you can take out all the dirt and oils and keep your pillow in good shape for years to come.
Air-Dry Your Pillow
After washing your pillows, put the washer on the spin cycle for a few seconds to get most of the water out. Then move your pillows into the dryer and set it on medium heat or lower if necessary. You can also lay them out to air-dry them if you prefer. It’s best to flip your pillows over every few hours so that both sides get air-dried.
Are There Any Precautions I Can Take?
There are a few precautions you can take while washing your pillow:
- Wash two pillows at once for even drying and machine wrinkle removal.
- Use a protective pillowcase and tie it tightly, so your pillow retains its shape and size.
- Wash in cold water if you have large down or synthetic-filled pillows because they’ll become flat in hot water.
- Please don’t leave your pillows out to air dry for more than an hour; otherwise, they might get moldy.
- Use a front-loading washing machine as agitators in top-loaders may cause damage to your pillows.
Turn Your Pillowcase Inside Out
It’s important to remember that you should always turn your pillowcase inside out before putting it in the washer and dryer because if you don’t, the colors on the pillowcase may bleed. Especially if you have dark-colored pillows, it’s essential to ensure that your colors don’t run onto other garments in the wash. Now that you know how to wash your pillows, it should be simple and easy!
Tips To Clean Out Your Pillows Properly
If you are looking for ways to clean out your pillows properly, look no further. We have compiled a list of some of the best tips on cleaning your pillows the right way!
- Remove any protective covers before putting them in the washer.
- Flip fabric-covered pillows inside out before putting them in the wash.
- If you have a front-loading washing machine, put your pillows inside a pillowcase and tie them tightly before putting them in the washer. This will help protect your pillow from getting dirty while helping to preserve its size and shape.
- For down or synthetic-filled pillows, use a cold setting in your washing machine to help keep the fill from becoming limp.
- If you have a large filling, use a front-loading washing machine.
- For down or synthetic-filled pillows, air dry the pillows instead of using a tumble dryer as this will damage them.
- Use a medium heat cycle when using a tumble dryer on down or matrix-filled pillows. If the pillows are too hot or too cold, it could cause damage to them.
- The last tip is to always turn your pillowcase inside out before putting it in the washer and dryer because if you don’t, the colors on the pillowcase may bleed.
If you follow these tips on cleaning your pillows the right way, you should be able to enjoy pleasant and clean pillows for many years. If you follow these tips and use a front loading washer and dryer with down or synthetic pillows, they’ll last for years.
Conclusion: Can Pillows Be Washed?
Whether you are simply looking for ways to clean your pillows or get tips on how to clean your pillows the right way, this article will help. It gives a few great tips on how to clean your pillows properly! If you follow these steps on how to clean your pillows the right way, you should be able to enjoy pleasant and clean pillows for a long time, and it will be simple and easy. So, if you are looking for ways to clean your pillows or simply need tips on how to clean your pillows the right way, follow these steps and enjoy!